Skip to main content

Seamen's Church Institute of New York & New Jersey Buildings Records

Identifier: SCI-2016-014

Scope and Content

Includes correspondence, blue prints, contracts and minutes related to SCI’s buildings and art and artifacts collection. Of particular note are materials related to the Titanic Memorial Lighthouse, once displayed on the roof of 25 South Street and now at the Titanic Memorial Park in the South Street Seaport.


  • 1905-1995



Some records for Port Newark, 241 Water Street and Art & Artifacts and all records for Paducah, KY and Houston, TX are currently being processed and are restricted until further notice.

Historical Note

In 1906 SCI purchased property at Coenties Slip in Lower Manhattan that would become the site for SCI’s new headquarters, a 12 story building with dormitory-style rooms capable of housing 580 seafarers at any given time. 25 South Street officially opened on May 28, 1913. Under the direction of Rev. Archibald R. Mansfield, all of SCI’s operations were consolidated under the rood of 25 south Street until 1968 when the Institute relocated to a twenty-three story building at 15 State Street that offered 295 rooms for seafarers. In 1961, under the leadership of Rev. John M. Mulligan, SCI opened the International Seafarers’ Center (then known as the Seamen’s Church Institute mariners Center Newark) to accommodate for the shift in shipping operations in Port from downtown Manhattan to New Jersey. SCI’s Manhattan headquarters moved again in 1991 to 241 Water Street, which remained in operation until it was sold in early 2011.


9.25 Linear Feet (4 oversized items)

Language of Materials



Arranged in alphabetical order according to creator and subject file within six sub‐series: 25 South Street, 15 State Street, Port Newark, 241 Water Street, Other Property and and Art & Artifacts. Sub-series are arranged according to dates of use, with the exception of Art & Artifacts, which is listed last.

Seamen's Church Institute of New York & New Jersey Buildings Records
Processed by Johnathan Thayer, 2011. Revised and machine readable finding aid created by Dan Brenner, Fall, 2016.
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Queens College (New York, N.Y.) Special Collections and Archives Repository

Queens College Library, CUNY
Benjamin Rosenthal Library RO317
65-30 Kissena Boulevard
Flushing 11367 USA us