American Association of University Women Queens Branch Records
Scope and Content Note
The AAUW Collections is comprised of papers, correspondences, administrative files, and financial records of the Queens Branch of the AAUW. The collection primarily deals with the administrative history of the Queens Branch AAUW. There are also several photos with no date codes or other identifying labels on them. The collection spans from approximately 1939 to approximately 2005. The entire collection is around 4.5 linear feet.
- 1939 to 2005
- American Association of University Women (Organization)
Collection is open for research. Staff may restrict access at its discretion on the basis of physical condition.
The AAUW Collection is physically owned by the Queens College Libraries. Literary rights, including copyright, belong to the authors of their legal heirs and assignees. The collection is subject to all copyright laws. Queens College assumes no responsibility for the infringement of copyrights held by the original authors, creators, or producers of materials.
The American Association of University Women was founded in 1881 by Marion Talbot and Marion Richards in Boston, Massachusetts. In 1884 the branch structure was established and the New York branch was formed in 1886. The first fellowship awarded by the AAUW was given to Ida Street in 1888. In 1920 the AAUW donated some money toward Marie Curie’s research. A little later, Marie Curie’s daughter returned a portion of the money which was then used to create the endowment that funds the Marie Curie Postdoctoral Fellowship. The Queens Branch of the AAUW was established in 1931. The focus of the Queens Branch was scholarship and education. The papers contained in this collection were donated to the Rosenthal Library Archives and Special Collections Department on December 2, 1992.
5 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The Queens Branch of the AAUW was largely responsible for scholarship and education from 1931 until the branch disbanded in 2008. The collection holds many of the papers specific to the Queens Branch including research projects the Queens Branch took part in and information about the bylaws and history of the branch.
The AAUW Collection is arranged into four series based on subject.
Series I: Administrative Files
Series II: Webster Fund
Series III: Newsletters
Series IV: History
Donated to Queens College by the Queens Branch of the American Association of Women on December 2, 1992
Magnetic tape audio cassettes, magnetic tape VHS film
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script